Thursday, May 30, 2013

Festival and Competition Perspective

I always tell my students, "We are not out to prove, we are out to improve!" and I stress to them that it's not about the number.  My first two years I said that, but my actions showed that I cared deeply about the number and when it came down to it, I felt that I had failed them.  Now, all the things I did wrong those two years would be a topic for another post, so I'll try to stay in subject here.  

"We got a 1 rating!!!!" I know that this can be a controversial topic for music educators.  I think there is a happy medium for competitions and festivals, though.  The wrong outlook can really ruin music for students, teachers, and everyone...but I also think that getting out there and performing for others and getting feedback is important.  Over the last two years, I've really started to believe my advice that I give the students (yes, I know, I have grown so old and wise).  I have always looked at it as a learning experience, but now I trust my own judgement more.

Okay, so it's a learning experience and about sharing our love for music and our hard work with others.  It's about getting feedback from people with unbiased opinions so that we can grow more musically.  I believe this, and I have many friends and mentors that do, too, yet there are still those that act like you should not be satisfied unless you get a 1 rating!  Don't get me wrong, it's not that those high standards aren't on my radar, but why on earth should I feel disappointed after working my butt off, having students that work their butts off and are improving more each year, not to mention their amazing positive attitudes and love for performing music?!?  You better believe I am happy and proud that they can see it's not about comparing themselves to the other ensembles, but about comparing themselves to the musicians (and people) they were yesterday.  They also recognize what needs to happen to get to the next level.  It's not like they walk out of a venue saying, "Woo Hoo!  That was the best we'll ever do!"  They know that what they did was better than before, and that if they keep working, that it will continue to improve and the program will grow, and they will help build a strong music program in a small rural school.

No comments:

Post a Comment