Thursday, May 30, 2013

My Third Year...and looking into year four...

I was sitting here watching some DCI shows and thinking about how bothered I was about some of the kids in my band are quitting.  Not just high school marching band, but middle school, too.  It has really bothered me this year.  The middle school students bother me more than the high school students because I fear they will regret their decision.  And I found out yesterday that one of our best high school musicians, a great percussionist, and our lead snare in marching band is moving to a different state this summer.  That broke my heart.  This was one of my "minions" as I call them.  The kids that stick around and hang out in the band room any free time they get.  One that, when you have a bad day, would simply say something like, "I am so glad you are our band teacher!"  and make it all better.  Anyway, I shall continue...

I will have around 39 kids in high school band next year.  That is including the guard members, but that's about the same size as last year.  I should be happy.  And this year, the non-band guard members (two of my choir students) are actual musicians and are invited to stay in and play with us all year.  So that means that even though we are losing a great percussionist, I have two more with reading, rhythms, and piano skills that will be able to fill in some of her parts during concert band.

Why am I so disappointed?  I know I was thinking we would have 45-50 kids in band this year, but things happen.  I should be ecstatic that the little band that had a mere 26 a couple years ago is growing.  Not only is it growing in numbers, but I should drop any disappointment about numbers that I might have and rejoice every day when I think about the level of musicianship these kids are at!!  I mean, we could not even read 16th notes at all at the high school level my first year.  We spent the entire first quarter, every day, out in the parking lot learning how to march in a block formation, memorizing our concert F major scale, and memorizing Soul Finger.  EVERY DAY!  I got the job partly because they wanted to marching band and I told them I could make that happen...so we marched every day.  Then, we spent the entire first semester playing 3 songs and learning how to count rhythms.  It was rough.  We won't even get into what middle school band was like or what choir was like.  They had their small successes, but overall, it was very tough.  I lived every day for my HS Band, jazz band, and beginning band.



Last year was a little better.  I started giving them more music and pushing them more.  And this year was by far the best.  We started off with a bang and marching season was very successful.  Played an entire Journey show (yes, Anyway, Open Arms, Don't Stop Believing), field marched (we don't even have a football field), went to a local band festival and they felt like rock stars when they were the only small band that moved and played at the same time with their music memorized.  I was so proud of their attitude and their pride when they hit that field.  The freshmen had only been on a football field ONCE before that performance and it was earlier that day.  They acted like they had been doing it for years.  We went to a small local competition, and they placed in parade and field, and took the outstanding marching caption.  That set us up alright for the rest of the year.

On top of that, I had a MS band and choir concert at the end of the first quarter.  This got them to gel sooner and gave them something to work from earlier in the year.  On top of that, it was just a really enjoyable concert.

I battled the "Concert Band just isn't as cool..." attitudes with a trip to see the SEMO Wind Symphony perform in December.  Packed up 70 kids (MS and HS Band) and they got to hear a GREAT program that was full of excitement.  Was the perfect thing for them to hear.

Spring semester was the busiest.  I assigned every student in high school band and choir to a small ensemble.  I picked easy level music that they could take to contest if they chose to and gave them certain days in class to work on it.  The woodwinds would work one day...shoved into storage rooms and the cafeteria next door, while I worked with the brass and percussion on our concert stuff.  We'd flip the next day.  This kept them from getting burnt out on just our 3 contest pieces and it really pushed them to be independent players.  They were all supposed to perform at our Contest Preview Concert, and of course I had a couple that didn't make the cut, but for those that did, it really got the message through to them.  I think, I hope, it made them love music and performing that much more.  For the ones that didn't, it made them want to do better next time.  They saw how rewarding it was for those that did perform and I hope that next year they will work harder.

I had a few groups that wanted to go to contest, and had a few others that I nudged in that direction.  We had a few issues with kids wanting to bail at the last minute, but everything ended up working out.  I didn't have any kids make it to State, but that doesn't really matter that much to me.  What mattered to me was the fact that my first two years, I had about 5-7 kids go to district music festival, and this year, I had a bus full!  The fact that they followed through and got up in front of the judge and showed what they had was an amazing feat for our little music program.  I had a couple 3's and one 4 (sax quartet did not hold it together), but when it came time to order the little medals for the kids...I had to order 23 II rating medals!  That was pure awesome because they saw just how good they really are.  Their peers saw just how good they are, and it made them want to go back and practice more.  I cannot wait to see how the small ensembles do this next year.  I hope this spurs enthusiasm and makes them want to learn and practice more.  Most of all, I hope it builds their love of music and confidence in themselves!

The Concert Band was successful at State Music Festival, even though our rating was disappointing for many.  They played the best they had ever played and sight read like champs.  Our scores improved from last year, but we still came out with a III.  The kids were bummed, admittedly, I was a little bummed, but all in all, they still were not disappointed in their performance.  They were happy with it and really enjoyed it, which made me pretty proud.


I took my MS Concert Band to festival, too.  This was the first year a in a while that the MS Band got to go anywhere.  They did a great job and got a I- rating.  We did not play as well as we could have, and the kids mentioned that first thing, but they still played very well.  Nerves sat in and lack of rehearsal time at the end of the year got to us, but we pulled through.  It was a nice way to end the year, and a great thing for those kids to see what hard work will do.  To be honest, I needed that.  It is tough for me when I am the only music teacher in the MS and HS and there isn't anyone to really come in and give me feedback on my own teaching.  The judges were people that I highly respect, and to have the feedback on the sheets and CD that I got, was more than refreshing and encouraging. 

I am excited to have this past year's 8th graders as freshmen this year!  They are my first group of beginning band students and they can play very well!  My high school band was impressed and I think a bit intimidated when they heard the MS Band play at our last concert.  And they are almost speechless when they hear them warming up with a full sound, play through their major scales without blinking, read rhythms, and understand the musical terminology that I use.  I know that it's because they have had a consistent band director all through middle school and next year it will carry over into high school, but I hope that having those strong young musicians will push the older musicians to work a little harder, too.

I guess this is really just my third year of MS and HS band listed here.  I already feel a little better about my numbers whining earlier.  Who cares?  I don't want to lose kids, but if they decide it's not for them, then I have to respect that.  I need to focus on the ones that are there, not the ones that left.  I also need to work on recruiting my beginners for next year.  I have already done a lot, but it's about time to pick up the phone.

I will continue this blog later...thanks to anyone for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment