Monday, June 3, 2013

10 Very Important Things I Want My Students to Know

If you know me, you know that I enjoy being a teacher and feel it is my true calling.  I cannot simply put my passion for teaching into words, but here are a few things that I believe might show why I try to do my very best everyday.  I don't always succeed.  I have bad days, but I try to learn from them and move on to try for another good day.  My inspiration for teaching comes from lessons that I had to learn the hard way combined with my eternal love for music.  Music, ultimately, in ways I cannot explain in a blog post, but maybe a book, brought me to each of the lessons listed below.


10 Things I Want My Students to Know

1.  You are never really alone.  Many will say you have to think for yourself and make these important decisions because no one else can make them for you, which is true, but that doesn't mean you are alone. There are many people that care about you and are willing to help you weigh options and think through these decisions, and I am one of them.

2.  Ask questions.  I used to be too scared to ask questions for fear that I would look stupid for not knowing.  I could have, and should have, taken the chance to "look stupid" for a few minutes because I would have felt much better later because I wouldn't have "felt stupid" after I had the answer.  I would have learned something new, and in 99% of the cases, for FREE!

3.  Vent when you are frustrated.  If you are fed up with things and need to vent to someone, do it!  Just make sure it's a friend and they know you are venting.  DO NOT vent on Facebook or any other public forum.  You may think it's a safe place, but it's not.   You may hate your college professor or new boss, but no good can come from them finding this out via word of mouth or Facebook.  Please, just trust me on this.

4.  Don't be afraid to change your mind.  Ever.

5.  There are at least two sides to every situation.  You must be able to work with people you don't like to get things done.  Chances are, if you are really mad or frustrated with a situation, then it is that much more important that you try your hardest to see the other point of view.  Also, make sure you are always respectful while you are trying to do this.  You can be a jerk if you like, but so can they.

6.  When things are becoming difficult, you are about to learn something important.  You will learn from the "right" decision, and you will learn from the "wrong" decision.  You will not learn much, though, by avoiding the decision.

7.  Do not point fingers.  You are responsible for your own actions, your own choices, your own education, and your impact on this world.  Whether you have amazing teachers/mentors/bosses or not, you are the one in charge of you.  You can blame other people all you like, but it will not help you get anywhere.  I tried...it was far from rewarding.  Getting off my butt and doing something proved to be much more beneficial.

8.  Not motivated or inspired?  You are in charge of finding means of motivation and inspiration, too.  Sometimes you have to seek it out, sometimes it will be presented to you.  Ultimately, internal motivation must be present, but external inspiration will be necessary when it runs low.

9.  Find a mentor(s) and be a mentor. Even though you are still learning, there are young minds that need you.  Are you setting the example?  If a younger person were to model your behavior, would you be proud?  You might feel that it is not your job to help those young people, but it is.  Whether you choose to take that job seriously or not, they will still watch you.

10.  I believe in you.  It does not matter what you choose to do with your life, whether you graduate and want to be an auto mechanic, a music education major, an engineer, a nurse, a rock star, whatever... I believe in YOU.  You have the ability to be the best person you can be.  I know it and I believe it, and I will continue to do so for ever and ever, no matter what.  No matter if you talk to me every day after high school or never again, always remember, "No matter where you go, or whatever you do, your band/choir director believes in you."


I am a music teacher, and yes, I want to help my students develop a love for music and being a musician, but there is more to it.  I think teenagers are amazing.  They really are wonderful young people.  I think that when we complain and make negative comments about them, we are setting the wrong example.  They need help and guidance, just as we all do at times.  I know that I am a "geek" about teaching, and I wouldn't have it any other way, but I share these things because I think that if more people of all occupations, religions, political positions, media figures...if more think about things like this on a daily basis, young people might be more apt to make the right decisions.  People in general might look for more good and try to do more good.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. what wonderful sentiments - your students are lucky to have you for a teacher and mentor!

    ReplyDelete